An image taken by Warren Banfield in July 1983 showing a Melbourne bound Harris EMU waiting to depart and T383 in the yard with a suburban goods train at Lilydale. Image courtesy of the Victorian Railways.Net website which can be found here.
Early in 2024, I set out to build a medium-sized HO scale layout based on a busy suburban terminus in outer Melbourne. I made good progress at first. I built the benchwork, laid the track, and worked on the hard bits like the wiring and installing the point motors. After a good period of troubleshooting, I finally had an operating layout.
And that’s when the momentum stopped.
Between my hectic work schedule and a major decision we've made to move back to the North Island in a few years' time to be closer to family, the inspiration to work on the layout disappeared. My layout was built to be permanent. Every hour of additional work felt like effort that would eventually be torn up, stored, or binned. I was left with a layout that was too big, a move in the future, and a deep sense of "what’s the point?" It felt defeatist because I knew many modellers would enjoy having that space, but for me, it wasn’t working anymore. The inspiration was gone.
The turning point came in 2025 while I was writing a post
about the history of the Kew railway line. Though the real-world branch closed
in 1957, the more I researched, the more I realised what a great little layout it
would make. It had everything I was looking for: character, a
manageable footprint, electric suburban operations, and enough operational
potential to keep me entertained for a quick 30 minute operating session at the end of a busy workday.
One night, I began to explore the idea of a Kew-inspired layout, and that’s where Levendale came from. Levendale is a play on my street name, Leven, and "dale" is a homage to one of my favourite railway photographs of a Harris electric multiple unit and a T-class hauled suburban goods train at Lilydale.
While Kew provided the initial spark, photo's from the excellent website, Victorian Railways.Net provided the inspiration I needed to get the project started.
This April 1985 photo of 4CM at Victoria Park by Steve Bucton. Photo courtesy of the Victorian Railways.Net website which can be found here.I also found inspiration for the new layout in a few other places; Corey Green’s Victorian East ‘Metclafe Station and Workshops’, Jason Wood’s NSW based ‘The Escarpment’ and Alex Malijevic’s ‘Carlingford’. I also took a lot of inspiration from Phil Overton’s books which provided lots of tips for building a good layout.
The priority for this new project is to make the layout simple to build and to get trains running quickly without too many hassles. To ensure portability, I have decided to build it across three modules, each measuring 480 mm by 1200 mm. These modules will bolt together and have removable legs, making the entire setup semi-permanent and easy to move.
Two modules will
contain the station, yard, and a street scene with an overbridge to disguise
the entry into the three-track staging yard on the third module. To maximize
staging and fit the upcoming Auscision four-car Harris electric multiple unit,
the first point for the staging yard will be hidden under the overbridge. The
yard layout itself is based off the original Kew station yard with a main line, a runaround loop and a dead-end goods siding with a backshunt. A crossover provides access to the loop, which will also feature its own
short backshunt for parking a guards van during shunting.
Another similar plan from the Free Track Plans website which you find here.
For the trackwork, I am sticking with Peco Code 100 with Electrofrog medium radius points. I know Code 83 would look more prototypical, but since this is a semi-permanent layout, I want the track to be bombproof. Electrofrog points are harder to wire than Insulfrogs, but since I use DCC and want to run short-wheelbase shunting locomotives in the future, they're a no-brainer for reliable operation.
The electrical side of the hobby can be frustrating when
locomotives stutter or point motors fail to work properly, so my goal is to
make the wiring as robust and accessible as possible. I want a tidy
installation that doesn't require me working beneath the layout at
weird angles to fix wiring issues. The layout will use the NCE Power Cab DCC
system I already own; since there will only be a maximum of three trains on the
layout at once, it has more than enough power. To control the points, I will
use Peco point motors and accessory switches to change the frog polarity. While
I have some Tortoise motors on hand, I want to mimic a lever frame on the
station platform using Peco lever switches. These switches simulate the
movement of a real lever and provide a satisfyingly loud click as the points
flick over. To increase playability, the points will only be operable after
unlocking a switch or possessing a train staff.
While the scenery is still under consideration, the station area and street scene with the overbridge are already locked in. I imagine a path leading down from the street to the platform and station, complete with a grassy bank, a fence at the top, and some low-relief structures depicting the rear of buildings. The backscene will incorporate city backdrops to create a sense of depth. Finally, a kit of Kew station, which I already have, will take pride of place on the platform.
This project has truly excited me, and I am
looking forward to beginning construction shortly.



hello
ReplyDeleteThat feeling of hitting a wall when a layout feels too permanent for future plans is so relatable in model railroading! Shifting focus to a manageable, Kew-inspired terminus like Levendale sounds like the perfect spark to bring back the fun without the burden of torn-up benchwork down the road. When taking a break after wiring point motors and checking track geometry, streaming live news and entertainment on xuper tv keeps relaxing quick and easy. Looking forward to seeing Levendale take shape!
ReplyDeleteThat 1983 photo of the Harris EMU and T383 at Lilydale is such a classic piece of Victorian Railways history! Adapting an urban branch line concept for quick 30-minute suburban passenger and goods operations is brilliant for fitting the hobby around a hectic work schedule. For railway modellers and enthusiasts who like keeping layout build videos or live transport streams playing on a tablet in the workshop, having the xuper tv app ready makes streaming super smooth. Great update!
ReplyDeleteThe name Levendale is such a neat blend of your street name and that iconic Lilydale photo! Downsizing to a modular or compact footprint really is the best way to maintain momentum when an upcoming interstate or inter-island move is on the horizon. Whether unwinding at home after a day of benchwork or streaming live TV shows on your mobile phone, downloading the xuper tv apk gives you instant access to live channels anywhere. Excited to follow this HO scale journey!
ReplyDeleteIt takes a lot of honesty as a modeller to recognize when a project has stopped being fun and pivot toward something that fits your life better. The Kew branch line history offers such rich operational potential for VR electric multiple units and short goods trains! After spending the evening reading railway blogs, researching historical track plans, and planning layout schemes, kicking back with super tv for live channels and evening shows is my favorite way to end the night. Keep these updates coming!
ReplyDeleteThis was a genuinely inspiring post. I enjoyed reading about your journey and the way you described the challenges, lessons, and new opportunities along the way. It's encouraging to see how determination and patience can lead to positive changes, even after difficult moments. Your writing feels honest and relatable, which made the story even more engaging. During my downtime, I also enjoy relaxing with Xuper TV. Thanks for sharing your experience and best wishes for everything ahead.
ReplyDeleteFollowing model railway construction logs and industrial heritage posts—like the Levendale project on the Southern Rails blog—is a fantastic way to pick up layout planning ideas and scenery building tips. After spending hours fine-tuning track work and scale details, taking a quick break to play moto wheelie 3d apk gives you a fast-paced, adrenaline-fueled gameplay experience right on your phone. Documenting each stage of model layout design helps preserve railway history while inspiring hobbyists across the globe.
ReplyDeleteReflecting on the challenges of model railroading and layout planning like building an HO scale Melbourne terminus reveals how life changes and upcoming moves can shift creative priorities. When taking a break from reading about model train layouts and railway photography, checking out the Youcine TV APK offers a convenient way to relax and stream your favorite movies and shows on your smartphone or Smart TV. Sharing the ups and downs of scale modeling keeps hobby communities supportive and inspiring.
ReplyDeleteI did not know that they has trains in New zealand or Australia. I love trains. I.could eat them they look so gorgeous.
ReplyDeleteI really enjoyed reading this post about the journey from a dead end to a new departure. Personal stories like this are interesting because they show how unexpected changes can sometimes lead to fresh opportunities and new experiences. I appreciate the reflective tone and the way the article captures the excitement of moving forward. While exploring other online resources, I came across descargar super apk. Thanks for sharing this story. It was an enjoyable read and a nice reminder that new beginnings can come from unexpected places.
ReplyDeleteThis was a fascinating post to discover, especially because journeys and new beginnings often involve a mixture of uncertainty and excitement. I enjoyed the personal perspective and the sense of moving from one chapter into another. Stories like this can be inspiring because they remind us that a change in direction does not always mean giving up; sometimes it opens a better path. While browsing online resources, I found Descargar Xuper TV APK. Thanks for sharing this thoughtful story with readers.
ReplyDeleteI enjoyed reading this post about moving from a dead end toward a new departure. There is something appealing about personal stories that capture change as it happens, especially when the next step brings uncertainty along with excitement. The article provides an interesting perspective on starting another chapter and embracing a different direction. While exploring other online resources, I came across Netfly. Thanks for sharing this experience. It was an enjoyable read and a good reminder that change can create unexpected opportunities.
ReplyDeleteThis was an interesting personal story to read. I liked the idea of moving beyond a difficult or uncertain point and looking toward a fresh departure. Life often involves unexpected changes, and stories that document those moments can be surprisingly relatable. The article has a reflective quality that made it easy to stay interested throughout. While browsing different online resources, I discovered Bit Tv. Thanks for sharing this experience. It was a pleasant read and an encouraging reminder that new chapters can be exciting.
ReplyDeleteI really enjoyed this post about beginning a new journey after reaching a dead end. Personal experiences like this can be valuable because they show how a change in circumstances can lead to something completely different. I appreciated the honest and reflective approach, especially the sense of anticipation surrounding what comes next. While exploring online resources, I also came across Uni Tv. Thanks for sharing this story with readers. It was an enjoyable read and a thoughtful look at moving forward into a new chapter.
ReplyDeleteThis was a pleasant and interesting story about leaving one chapter behind and starting another. I enjoy reading personal accounts of change because they often capture emotions and details that a simple summary would miss. The idea of turning a dead end into a new departure feels particularly relatable, since unexpected changes can sometimes lead to better opportunities. While browsing other online resources, I found xuper apk android download. Thanks for sharing this experience. It was an enjoyable read and an encouraging look at embracing new beginnings.
ReplyDelete