Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow.


Winter has arrived in Otago! 
I was on the road heading into work in Dunedin just after 6 am this morning listening to local radio stations talking about the heavy snow falling in Dunedin. State highway one between Palmerston and Karitane  was clear and it wasn't until I hit the Kilmog that I came across snow. It was settling but it wasn't too bad. Snow was falling to sea level at Waitati and the line of trucks lined up at the bottom of the northern motorway (sounds a lot more grander than it is) told me that maybe the toyota wasn't the best choice of vehicle for the conditions. A number of cars that had passed me and headed up the hill returned covered in snow with the drivers looking a little sorry for themselves. It was about then I decided that it was time to head home. Good choice because I only just made it back over the Kilmog. 
Sitting in front of the fire with a hot milo was great but its not often we get snow like this so I thought I'd get out and catch 937 Middleton - Dunedin freight as it come into town. The snow was coming down heavy but wasn't really settling except on the hills. I missed 937 but I did get this shot of the Bushey TWC sign as a snow flurry came through. 
As the day went on the novelty wore off and the opportunity to go chasing in the afternoon just couldn't match the nice warm wood fire at home.

And that's about it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment